skip navigation

Honors College Undergraduate Research Grants

These grants for Honors College students are designed to support your research and creative projects. We offer:

  • Student stipends: These stipends are $1,250 for a one-semester project and $2,500 for a multiple-semester project and are given to support research begun and completed during the grant period. Awards will vary depending on the number of semesters in the grant period.
  • Mentor Stipend: Faculty mentors receive $1,000 in a mentor account for guiding the student through the research process and for materials (research equipment, books, copying, etc.)

Need to travel to complete your grant-funded research? You may apply for an Honors College Travel Grant; funding will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please note that the Honors College will not fund research-related travel in countries on the U.S. Department of State's Travel Warning List.

Eligible applicants must

  • Be in good standing with the honors program in the college or school of major, including maintaining a cumulative GPA of at least 3.500 (3.330 for Architecture students after their fifth semester)
  • Be an active Honors College member
  • Have a minimum of 6 completed honors credit hours taken at the University of Arkansas prior to application (Note: Some exceptions may be made for transfer students with more than 60 hours from their transfer institution. Contact your honors program director to discuss.)
  • Be enrolled as a regular full-time student during the grant period

Students awarded research grants will be required to document grant-funded work. They must submit a blog post, written report and photograph.


  • Fall 2014
    • Applications for Honors College Research Grants and SURF grants will be due October 24. Please visit the SURF information page for more details.

  • Spring 2015
    • Students must submit their application by March 11 at 4:00 p.m.
    • Faculty must submit letters of recommendation by March 18.

Questions? Contact the Honors College at (479) 575-7678.

Ready to Apply?

Visit how to apply for a list of materials needed and to access the online form.

Got the Grant and Need to Travel? We can help. Check out our Honors College Travel Grants, which are awarded once a month.