Honors College Extended Research Travel Grants

Mozambican fabrics

You’ve found the perfect opportunity to collect data or participate in an experience for your honors thesis over three weeks in the summer. But how will you cover the budget?

We can help! The Honors College awards competitive Extended Research Travel Grants to students who will be conducting research for at least 21 days. This grant is available for both domestic and international travel.

 Need to be abroad for just a short time? Students who need funding for research-related trips lasting fewer than 20 days should apply for the Honors College Short-Term Research Travel Grant instead.


Carefully read through the information below before starting the application.

  • You must be an honors student in good standing, including the minimum 3.50 cumulative GPA (3.330 minimum for architecture students after their 5th semester). This includes having the minimum GPA at time of application, award, and departure.
  • You must be an active Honors College member and an undergraduate at time of application and travel.
  • You must have a minimum of 6 completed honors credit hours taken at the University of Arkansas prior to application. (Note: Some exceptions may be made for transfer students with more than 60 hours from their transfer institution. Contact Dr. Jennie Popp at jhpopp@uark.edu to discuss.)
  • You must be enrolled as a regular full-time student in a course of study during the academic year.
  • Students found responsible for academic integrity violations or violations of the Code of Student Life are not eligible to apply for or receive Honors College grants for at least one year after being sanctioned.
  • Amounts vary depending on the type of travel, the length of travel, the relevance and impact to your professional and research goals, and the quality of your proposal.
  • These grants are highly competitive.
  • You are expected to leverage all of your other sources of funding, such as SURF grant travel funds, scholarships and fellowship funds, and any college or departmental funds, if available.
  • You cannot use Honors College funds for rental cars. You may use your own car or public transportation (taxi, train, plane, bus, etc.).

Typical funding:

  • Domestic travel: up to $3000
  • International travel: up to $6000

All Travel

  • You may apply for funding to perform undergraduate scholastic, creative or experiential research for a minimum of 21 days. You must be actively engaged with research the entire time period.
  • Research activities can include a site visit, research in an archive, data collection, or other travel purpose associated with your research.
  • Your experience must be credit bearing, if traveling in the summer. You must earn at least one hour of credit from this experience. In addition, you must be enrolled in a total of three credit hours for the summer term, including your research experience credit. This total cannot include online courses. Whether applying for the grant for summer or an academic semester, please contact Dr. Jennie Popp at jhpopp@uark.edu to discuss credit requirements before applying. Credit can be given by the program or university you are working with or by the UA (such as thesis hours or an independent study – you should work with your research mentor and academic advisor to determine what could work). If you hope to use your Honors College or Bodenhamer Fellowship Funds for part of your expenses, meet with Kelly Carter before applying to discuss whether this experience will qualify.
  • This experience can be independent research, meaning you are not hosted by a second mentor, an institution, or a nonprofit organization, as long as your UA research mentor approves this travel. However, research that is hosted is preferred.  Independent research might include working in an archive or in a row crop field or conducting video or paper surveys with individuals. Hosted research might include any of those, under the supervision of a research mentor at a research institution or working in a professor’s lab at another university or collecting survey data while volunteering with a nonprofit.

International Travel

  • Students planning to travel outside of the U.S. in order to participate in study, research, service learning, or internship must register through the Office of Study Abroad and International Exchange.  
  • Funding requests will not be considered without verification that students have applied for the UofA Internship, Research and Independent Study Abroad Program or appropriate external program listed in the HogsAbroad portal. 
  • The purchase of study abroad health insurance and emergency travel assistance is required.

The Honors College does not fund student travel to countries or specific destinations within a country listed with a Level 3 or 4 Travel Advisory by the U.S. State Department


Student Application Deadlines

Extended Research Travel grant proposals are due at least two months before your date of departure. You are welcome to apply earlier! Please note that review can take up to two weeks, so keep that in mind when deciding when to apply.

If your travel takes place during the summer, you must apply by March 1. We will not accept summer applications after this date.

Questions? Contact Chelsea Hodge at cew003@uark.edu or (479) 575-3127.


Required Application Materials
Prepare the following items, which must be submitted using the Extended Research Travel Grant application form.

Like all of our other grant programs, you must be in good standing with your honors program at the time of application, award notification, and departure. This includes maintaining the minimum GPA required for the Honors College.

The application has many moving parts. Click here for a helpful application checklist:

Application Checklist for Domestic Travel

Application Checklist for International Travel

Prepare a resume following the formatting guidelines or your discipline and/or college. Your resume should be a succinct, compelling outline of your experience and academic work. 

  • 2 pages maximum.

Include these components:

  • Honors College status: It is vital that you prominently mention that you are a member of the Honors College in the education section. You should also list any relevant or particularly impactful honors coursework. If you have been awarded Honors College funding, such as a fellowship or study abroad grant, you should list these in the appropriate sections of your resume.
  • Education: GPA, degree plan, number of honors hours and total number of hours completed, and class standing (sophomore, junior, senior). Be sure to include your status as a member of the Honors College and/or as an Honors College Fellow in this section.
  • Research Experience: lab experience, presentations, posters, publications of any kind, projects underway.
  • Honors & Awards: scholarships, previous grant funding, other honors.
  • Relevant Experience: leadership experience, community service, work experience, significant hobbies.

Use the Academic Resume Checklist to make sure your resume is formatted correctly and includes the expected content.

We recommend that you review the online resume resources provided by the Career Development Center. Ask someone in the Career Development Center to review your resume before you submit it.

You will upload and attach a PDF of your resume to your application.

  • 5 pages maximum. Your references page does not count toward the five page limit.
  • Craft a well-written, carefully documented research proposal that shows you know something about your field and project. Typically all research proposals will include a problem statement/justification, background/literature review, and a methods section. The structure of these will vary depending on your discipline and whether this is a scholastic, creative, or experiential thesis proposal. Please direct questions to Dr. Jennie Popp at jhpopp@uark.edu or 479-575-7381.
  • Be sure to answer the following questions:
    • Is the proposed research/scholarly activity of value to your field of study? How (and why)?
    • Is the project of sufficient difficulty to challenge you?
    • Will the project teach you skills that are transferable to other research endeavors/scholarly activities?
  • Address the feasibility of the project (i.e., is the project reasonable for you to pursue with available facilities?
  • Include a detailed work plan for the extended research travel. Explain what you will do on a weekly, even daily, basis and how this plan will help you achieve your research goals. In addition, explain what work will need to be done upon your return to finish the project (i.e., analyzing the data you collected while traveling).
  • The work plan should be at least one page in length.
  • Only proposals with detailed, thorough work plans will be funded. Any version of “I will figure it out when I get there” is not acceptable.

Prepare 3-5 sentences explaining how this research travel will contribute to your scholastic, creative, or experiential honors thesis.

  • With the help of your mentor, submit the appropriate Research Protocols to Research Compliance at the University of Arkansas. Submit these protocols as early as possible, as it will take Research Compliance a while to review your submission. If awarded, you must have proof of Research Compliance approvals or exemptions before any funds will be disbursed.
  • If you are travelling internationally, you must research what, if any, research compliance regulations your destination country has in place. On the Final Research Proposal form, you will be asked to describe what these regulations are and what you have done to fulfill them. It is vital that you are prepared for the country’s regulations before you depart.
  • Meet with your academic advisor to discuss what credit you can receive from this experience.
  • On the application, you will provide specific and exact alphas, numbers, and names for the courses you will be enrolled at the UA during the research period. You will also state how the course will apply toward your degree program at the UA. For example, will it fulfill an elective course requirement, a general education course, or a course for your major? Explain what the course will replace.
  • Remember, you must earn at least one credit hour from this research experience. You also need to be enrolled in at least three total hours for the summer term, not including online classes (i.e. three hours for the research experience or one hour for research + two or more hours from a summer class).
  • You do not enroll yourself in the class for this research experience. The Office of Study Abroad will do this for you after you have completed the HogsAbroad application.
 Provide the name, email, and phone number of your local contact (at the destination) who you can contact in case of emergency.

Domestic Travel

Use the Honors College Extended Domestic Travel Budget Worksheet. Once you've completed the worksheet, show it to your research mentor to ensure you have made adequate estimates. You will upload this budget worksheet as part of your grant application. The worksheet will guide you through estimating:

  • Tuition
  • Airfare or mileage
  • Public transportation at the destination, if applicable
  • Meals
  • Lodging
  • Any other relevant costs

International Travel

Use the Honors College Extended International Travel Budget Worksheet. Estimate your expenses as best you can. Once you have completed the worksheet, schedule a meeting with  the Office of Study Abroad to discuss your budget. Study Abroad will help finalize your estimates. Their office will then upload the budget to your Hogs Abroad Portal. You do not need to submit this budget worksheet with your grant application. However, if you fail to meet with the Office of Study Abroad and get your budget approved and uploaded prior to the grant deadline, your application will be considered incomplete and will not be considered. In addition to the costs listed above, you will also include:

  • International Health Insurance
  • Study Abroad Service Fee
  • Immunizations, if applicable


Both budget forms will also ask for a list of other funding sources that you have to help pay for the travel, including:

  • SURF or Honors College Research Grant
  • Fellowship or scholarship funds
  • Departmental or college funds
  • Mentor Funds
  • Personal funds
  • Other sources of funding that may be available
  • Ask your faculty mentor to submit the Research Supervision Form. Let your mentor know that s/he will receive an email from honors@uark.edu with instructions on how to submit their recommendation form, once you have submitted the application.
  • The application will ask you to provide the name, title and email addresses of the faculty member mentoring your research. Once you have submitted your application, your mentor will automatically receive an email with the link to the recommendation form. The email asks them to submit the recommendation form within 3 business days of receiving the email. If your mentor would like to fill out the recommendation form early - before you have submitted your application - you can email Chelsea Hodge at cew003@uark.edu, and she will email the link to your mentor. 
  • Important Tips: 
    • Contact your mentor early - these forms are important and require information about you, your research and your proposed travel.
    • Direct your mentor to our Recommendation Guidelines for information on what the form will ask.

Provide the name and email address of the head of your department. Your department is that of your primary major. If you are awarded funding, we will notify your department head of your intended travel plans.

Complete all Phase 1 items in the HogsAbroad application for your program. Contact Chelsea Hodge if you are unsure which application you should use. 

Once all Phase 1 items are complete, take a screen shot of the completed checklist and email it to cew003@uark.edu by the grant deadline (two months before travel OR March 1 if traveling in the summer). If you fail to complete all of the Phase 1 items by the deadline, your application will be incomplete and will not be considered.

Prepare a single document in PDF format that includes, in this order:

  1. Academic Resume
  2. Current Transcript
  3. Research Proposal
  4. Work Plan

Note: Please make sure your combined PDF file is under 10MB. Your application will not submit properly if your document is larger than this. 

The form will prompt you to upload the PDF document and your Excel budget sheet.

To convert Word documents into PDF format:

  • You can select "save as" from the File menu, then select PDF format.
  • Or you may download software to convert text files to PDF.

Not sure how to create a single PDF from multiple files?

  • You can work within Adobe to combine multiple files (go to File, then Create, then Combine Files Into Single PDF).
  • Or you can print and scan all of your documents to create a single PDF.

The maximum size for a single file upload is 10 MB. You can upload a maximum of 20 MB for the entire form..


Fill out and submit the Extended Research Travel Grant Application at least two months before your date of departure and no later than March 1 if traveling in the summer.

Typically, funding decisions will be made within 2 weeks of submission.


Questions?  Contact Chelsea Hodge at cew003@uark.edu or (479) 575-3127.


Congratulations! What’s next?

Read the information below carefully so that you fully understand what you need to do to ensure your funding.

To accept your grant, please complete and submit the Extended Research Travel Grant RSVP Form.

  • You must complete grant acceptance forms before your grant funds can be distributed.
  • Funds cannot be disbursed until all research compliance requirements have been met and the Honors College is notified of such.
  • If your travel is international, complete all Phase 2 forms on your HogsAbroad Internship, Research, and Independent Study Abroad application. Once these items have been completed, you will be sent a confirmation email. Forward this email to cew003@uark.edu. Failure to complete Phase 2 and forward the confirmation email will result in termination of your funding.


  • Once the paperwork noted above is completed, your grant funds will be deposited in your UAConnect at the beginning of the term of travel. 
  • Funds will be applied toward your UAConnect account and will be released only if there is no outstanding balance (i.e. U of A charges for tuition/fees, library/DPS fines, Health Center charges, etc.) at the university.
  • Funding will be terminated if you discontinue the project at any time, drop below full-time status, drop out of the Honors College or do not meet the research mentor's expectations.
  • In the event that you present your grant-supported research at a conference or meeting, or publish your work, you must acknowledge Honors College support. See Credit Your Grant for more details.
  • You must agree to all conditions of the grant.
  1. If traveling domestically, visit the Student Travel Information web page and read the Student Travel Checklist and Policy, then fill out the following forms:
    1. Student Travel Notification Form. Submit to the Dean of Students, ADMN 325.
    2. Student Information Request Form. You will need three copies; submit one copy to your faculty mentor, one copy to the Dean of Students, ADMN 325, and one copy to the dean of your college of enrollment (Fulbright College, Walton College, etc.)
    3. Send copies of both forms to the Honors College, after you have submitted them to the appropriate offices. Submission to the Honors College is meant to confirm you have registered your travel. We will not forward any forms for you, nor does submitting to the Honors College replace submission to the Dean of Students, your mentor, or the dean of your college. You must submit all documents or your funding will be terminated.
    4. If you will be driving, fill out an Authorization to Operate Motor Vehicle Form and take to Risk Management, ADMN 321, at least 7 days prior to the trip to allow time for checking driver records. You will also need to watch the driver safety video (required) in Room A665 of the Arkansas Union (above the Computer Lab in the Office of Student Activities).
  2. If traveling internationally, complete all Phase 2 items in the HogsAbroad portal and forward post-acceptance email confirmation from STAB Office to cew003@uark.edu by April 1 for summer and fall;  October 1 for Spring
    1. Note: Phase 2 items should be worked on as soon as possible. Don’t wait until March 31st to submit your final budget and Enrollment Form for UofA credit.
    2. Work with the Office of Study Abroad to register your international course(s) and buy international health insurance and emergency travel assistance.
    3. Failure to complete these items with the Office of Study Abroad will result in termination of your funding.
  • The Honors College Extended Research Travel Grant can only be used for the research project in the funded proposal.
  • To receive your funding, you must be an active member in good standing with the Honors College, including maintaining the 3.5 cumulative GPA (3.33 for Architecture students after their fifth semester) at time of application, award, and departure. You must also have completed 6 hours of honors courses on this campus and have every intention of completing the honors program.
  • Significant research timeline deferrals or extensions or changes in your research project must be approved by the faculty mentor and the Honors College.
  • When accepting this award, you agree to share your research experiences through our Honors College blog at least once, with a photo. You also agree to complete a report submitted within two weeks of the grant period ending date. Visit Research Grant Documentation for more details on blogging and reporting. Failure to submit the documentation materials will result in your grant funds being revoked.
  • You must uphold the highest standards of academic integrity and student conduct, which are expected of all honors students.
  • You must have every intention of completing the honors program, and will do so to the best of your ability.
  • Failure to abide by these conditions will result in your grant funds being revoked.
  • You must file at least one Honors-College-approved blog entry and digital photograph of yourself within two weeks after the end of the funded period. 
  • You must also submit a 4-6 page written report within one month after the end of the grant period. This report will describe your research activities abroad and how they have contributed to your thesis. The last paragraph of your report should provide an estimation of the semester in which you will defend the thesis that was funded by this research grant. Any questions about reporting guidelines, please contact Chelsea Hodge at cew003@uark.edu or 479-575-3127.
  • Report, blog(s), and photo(s) must conform to the formats and submission directions provided on the Travel Grant Documentation page of this website.
  • Do not put confidential information or export controlled information in reports or blogs.
  • You must consent to and authorize the use of and reproduction by the University of Arkansas, of any and all descriptions, photographs or other documents related to the funded research, for educational and promotional purposes.
  • You must uphold the highest standards of academic integrity and student conduct, which are expected of all honors students.
  • You must have every intention of completing the honors program, and will do so to the best of your ability.


Questions? Contact Chelsea Hodge at cew003@uark.edu or (479)575-3127.