Honors College Short-Term Research Travel Grants

Alexandra Lemp working with art students in Italy.

You've found a treasure trove of documents pertaining to your thesis topic at an archive in Washington D.C. but your no-frills budget won't cover the copy fees, much less the airfare.

We can help! The Honors College competitively awards Short-Term Research Travel Grants to honors students for scholastic, creative, or experiential research for up to 20 days. You can request funds to perform undergraduate research, such as a site visit, research in an archive, data collection, or other travel purpose associated with your research activity. Funding is available for domestic or international travel.

The Short-Term Research Travel Grant funds research trips that are up to 20 days long. Researching for 21 days or more? Consider applying for the Extended Research Travel Grant.

If you are traveling to present research at a conference, you should apply for the Conference/Workshop Travel Grant.


  • You must be an honors student in good standing with the honors program in the college or school of major, including the minimum 3.50 cumulative GPA (3.330 minimum for architecture students after their 5th semester). This includes maintaining the minimum GPA at time of application, award, and departure.
  • You must be an active Honors College member and an undergraduate at time of application.
  • You must have a minimum of 6 completed honors credit hours taken at the University of Arkansas prior to application. (Note: Some exceptions may be made for transfer students with more than 60 hours from their transfer institution. Contact Dr. Jennie Popp at jhpopp@uark.edu to discuss.)
  • You must be enrolled as a regular full-time student in a course of study both at time of application and travel. Some exceptions may be made in the summer. Contact Dr. Jennie Popp at jhpopp@uark.edu to discuss.
  • Students found responsible for academic integrity violations or violations of the Code of Student Life are not eligible to apply for or receive Honors College grants for at least one year after being sanctioned.
  • The Honors College will not fund study in countries with a United States State Department Travel Warning of Level 3 or Level 4.

Reviewers will consider:

  • Quality of your proposal
  • Strength of your mentor letter of support
  • Your existing scholarships, financial aid, and other outside source funding that can be applied to the travel
  • Academic relevance to your research, educational and professional goals
  • Your progress in and commitment to your honors program of study
  • Travel cost
  • Length of travel
  • Amount of funding requested
  • Availability of funds
  • Number of previous Honors College grants awarded - preference may be given to students not funded before
  • Amounts vary depending on the type of travel, the length of the trip, the relevance and impact to your professional and research goals, and the quality of your proposal.
  • These grants are highly competitive.
  • You are expected to leverage all of your other sources of funding, such as SURF grant travel funds, scholarships and fellowship funds and any college or departmental funds, if available.
  • You cannot use Honors College funds for rental cars. You can use your own car or public transportation (taxi, train, plane, bus, etc.).

Typical funding:

  • Domestic travel: up to $1,500
  • International travel: up to $3,000

If your trip involves international travel:

Students planning for travel outside of the U.S. in order to present at a conference or participate in a workshop must register through the Office of Study Abroad and International Exchange as an Independent Student Traveler.  The purchase of study abroad health insurance and emergency travel assistance is required.


The Honors College does not fund student travel to countries or specific destinations within a country listed with a Level 3 or 4 Travel Advisory by the U.S. State Department


Student Application Deadlines

Short-Term Research Travel grant proposals are due at least two months before your date of departure. You are welcome to apply earlier! Please note that review can take up to two weeks, so keep that in mind when deciding when to apply.

Questions? Contact Chelsea Hodge at cew003@uark.edu or 479-575-3127.

Required Application Materials
Prepare the following items, which must be submitted using the Short-Term Research Travel Grant application form by the appropriate deadline.

Like all of our other grant programs, you must be in good standing with your honors program at the time of application, award notification, and departure. This includes maintaining the minimum GPA required for the Honors College.

Prepare a resume following the formatting guidelines or your discipline and/or college. Your resume should be a succinct, compelling outline of your experience and academic work. 

  • 2 pages maximum.

Include these components:

  • Honors College status: It is vital that you prominently mention that you are a member of the Honors College in the education section. You should also list any relevant or particularly impactful honors coursework. If you have been awarded Honors College funding, such as a fellowship or study abroad grant, you should list these in the appropriate sections of your resume.
  • Education: GPA, degree plan, number of honors hours and total number of hours completed, and class standing (sophomore, junior, senior). Be sure to include your status as a member of the Honors College and/or as an Honors College Fellow in this section.
  • Research Experience: lab experience, presentations, posters, publications of any kind, projects underway.
  • Honors & Awards: scholarships, previous grant funding, other honors.
  • Relevant Experience: leadership experience, community service, work experience, significant hobbies.

Use the Academic Resume Checklist to make sure your resume is formatted correctly and includes the expected content.

We recommend that you review the online resume resources provided by the Career Development Center. Ask someone in the Career Development Center to review your resume before you submit it.

You will upload and attach a PDF of your resume to your application.

  • You must submit a current copy of your transcript.
  • We accept an official or unofficial transcript. Highlight honors courses on your transcript!
  • You will upload and attach a PDF of your transcript to your application.

Submit an impact essay.

  • 500 words maximum.
  • Thoroughly describe the purpose of and justification for your intended travel, including your role, and the relevance and impact of this travel on your academics, research and professional goals. Be as specific as possible. For instance, where will you be collecting data? Who will you be talking to? Provide the URL of the website associated with the destination, if possible. Provide the name of the specific town(s) and/or organization(s) you will be working in. 
  • You will upload and attach a PDF of your essay to your application.

Prepare a daily itinerary, including

  • Dates of travel
  • Note your activities for each day

For domestic travel, fill out the Honors College Short Term Domestic Travel Budget Worksheet.

For international travel, fill out the Honors College Short Term International Travel Budget Worksheet.

All budgets will include:

  • Meals
  • Lodging
  • Airfare or mileage
  • Public transportation at the destination, if applicable
  • Any other relevant costs

If your travel is international, you will also include:

  • International Health Insurance
  • Immunizations, if applicable

The budget form also asks you to list other funding sources that you have to help pay for the travel, including:

  • SURF or Honors College Research Grant
  • Fellowship or scholarship funds
  • Departmental or college funds
  • Mentor funds
  • Personal funds
  • Other sources of funding that may be available

Tell us why your research matters!

  • 3 sentences maximum.
  • Use language that a general audience can understand.
  • Think big picture!
  • Ask your research faculty mentor to complete the Mentor Recommendation Form. Let your mentor know that s/he will receive an email from honors@uark.edu with instructions on how to submit their recommendation letter, once you have submitted the application.
  • The application will ask you to provide the name, title and email addresses of the faculty member mentoring your research. Once you have submitted your application, your mentor will automatically receive an email with the link to the recommendation form. The email asks them to submit the recommendation form within 3 business days of receiving the email. If your mentor would like to fill out the recommendation form early - before you have submitted your application - you can email Chelsea Hodge at cew003@uark.edu, and she will email the link to your mentor. 
  • Provide the name and email address of the head of your department. If you are awarded funding, we will notify your department head of your intended travel plans.

Before you begin conducting your research, you  must attain the appropriate research compliance approvals. If you are awarded this grant, the Honors College will not post any funds until you have your research compliance protocol in place. Talk to your mentor about submitting the protocol application, even before hearing about funding. More details under Got the Grant!

Prepare a single document in PDF format that includes, in this order:

  • Academic Resume
  • Current Transcript
  • Short-Term Research Travel Grant Essay
  • Daily Itinerary

Tips on Creating Your PDF

To convert Word documents into PDF format:

  • You can select "save as" from the File menu, then select PDF format.
  • Or you may download software to convert text files to PDF.

Not sure how to create a single PDF from multiple files?

  • You can work within Adobe to combine multiple files (go to File, then Create, then Combine Files Into Single PDF).
  • Or you can print and scan all of your documents to create a single PDF.

The maximum size for a single file upload is 10 MB. You can upload a maximum of 20 MB for the entire form.

The online form will prompt you to upload your budget form and enter the following information:

  • Research significance
  • Travel information
  • Mentor contact information

Fill out the online Short-Term Research Travel Grant application.

Questions? Contact Chelsea Hodge at cew003@uark.edu or 479-575-3127.


Congratulations! The Honors College Travel Grant will help you conduct your research.

What’s next? Before you depart you must:

To accept your grant, please complete and submit the Short-Term Research Grant RSVP form. Carefully read the conditions of the grant before submitting the form.

  1. With the help of your mentor, submit the appropriate Research Protocols to Research Compliance at the University of Arkansas. Submit these protocols as early as possible, as it will take Research Compliance a while to review your submission. You must have proof of Research Compliance approvals or exemptions before you begin research. The Honors College will only post your funding after we receive confirmation of protocol approval or exemption.
  2. If you are traveling internationally, you must research what, if any, research compliance regulations your destination country has in place. On the Final Research Proposal form, you will be asked to describe what these regulations are and what you have done to fulfill them. It is vital that you are prepared for the country’s regulations before you depart.
  1. If traveling domestically: Visit the Student Travel Information web page and read the Student Travel Checklist and Policy, then fill out the following forms:
    1. Student Travel Notification Form. Submit to the Dean of Students, ADMN 325.
    2. Student Information Request Form. You will need three copies; submit one copy to your faculty mentor, one copy to the Dean of Students, ADMN 325, and one copy to the dean of your college of enrollment (Fulbright College, Walton College, etc.)
    3. Send copies of both forms to the Honors College, after you have submitted them to the appropriate offices.
  2. If traveling internationally, fill out the Independent Student Travel registration form through the Office of Study Abroad. Forward the email confirmation of the Independent Student Travel form to the Honors College.


Submission to the Honors College is meant to confirm you have registered your travel. We will not forward any forms for you, nor does submitting to the Honors College replace submission to the Dean of Students, your mentor, the dean of your college, or the Office of Study Abroad, as applicable. You must submit all documents or your funding will be terminated.

If you will be driving, fill out an Authorization to Operate Motor Vehicle Form and take to Risk Management, ADMN 321, at least 7 days prior to the trip to allow time for checking driver records.

You will also need to complete the online driver safety module on HogSync (that link will only work if you have a HogSync account and are logged in). Once you've completed the module, your quiz will be graded and a verification that you successfully passed the quiz will be submitted via HogSync. Grading can take up to 5 business days, so do not wait until the last minute to complete the module. Email a screen shot or PDF of your verification to Chelsea Hodge, cew003@uark.edu, along with the travel registration documents.

Once you return from your travel, submit your Short-Term Research Travel Grant Documentation. Funds will be posted to your UAConnect account when we receive your documentation. You may receive up to 75% of your funding in advance of your travel if you have a large up-front expense (such as a flight) or your travel is for three weeks or more. To be reimbursed for a large up-front expense, you must email the receipt for your purchase to Chelsea Hodge at cew003@uark.edu