We’re glad that you’re considering an honors program in the
Fay Jones School of Architecture and Design!
Though any degree in the Fay Jones School of Architecture and Design requires years of rigorous study and studio work, some exceptional students seek experiential education that deepens classroom learning. The school's honors curriculum targets students interested in independent exploration of topics related to the natural and built environment.
The program, which is part of the University of Arkansas Honors College, is open to academically qualified students pursuing four-year studies and four-year and five-year professional degrees. Students may choose the Departmental Honors or the College Honors program. All honors students must complete an independent honors thesis during their final year in school.
Honors Entry Requirements for New Freshman Students
Please note: Students must apply for admission to the University of Arkansas and receive official notification of acceptance to the university before applying to the Honors College.
Entry Requirements for Current & Transfer Students
- Current University of Arkansas students or transfer students must earn a 3.50 or greater cumulative GPA in all course work while carrying a full academic load (applies to all courses within and outside of the U of A). Please also note that transfer students need to complete a full semester at UA before they are eligible to apply to the Honors College.
- U of A students who have already been accepted into an honors program in another college and are transferring to the Fay Jones School must have a 3.50 or greater cumulative GPA.
- Applications will not be accepted from students who are within three full semesters of anticipated graduation date.
- For more information visit the FJAD Honors website. Questions? Contact Honors Program Director Noah Billig.
Ready to Apply?
Visit the FJAD Honors website to access the application link. Once submitted, your application will be reviewed by honors program staff in the Fay Jones School of Architecture and Design. Questions? Contact Honors Program Director Noah Billig.
Honors Program Requirements
The Fay Jones School of Architecture and Design requires the following:
- Completion of 18 hours of honors designated courses, to include a minimum of:
- Honors elective (any Honors course at the university) (3 hours)
- Honors Professional Core (any Honors professional core in the Fay Jones School) (3 hours)
- Honors Professional Electives or upper-level (3000+) university honors courses (6 hours)
- ARDS 3153H, Honors Methods of Design Inquiry (3 hours)
- ARDS 5143H, Honors Capstone (3 hours), including the following:
- Honors Capstone defense with honors capstone committee and public presentation
- Honors Capstone document, minimum of 2,500 words; specific formatting may be geared toward discipline-specific content.
- Maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.50
Please check with your honors program director for the most up-to-date requirements!
"[A semester in Rome] was the best five months of my entire life! The Rome Center is actually on the Via del Cornali, one of the streets included in Allan B. Jacobs' book Great Streets. For the first time, I lived in a place that's fully walkable, and I think it had an influence."
David Sweere, architecture