We’re glad that you’re considering an honors program in the
Fulbright College of Arts and Sciences!
For students with superior academic abilities, the Fulbright College of Arts and Sciences provides a comprehensive program of honors studies. Fulbright honors students have a choice of two options in order to graduate with honors:
The College Honors Program is an interdisciplinary honors program designed for students with the highest academic
and artistic ambition. College honors students will complete more than one-third of
their undergraduate curriculum in honors courses, including a college honors core,
honors colloquia, and research hours. Incoming first-year students, especially those
planning post-graduate education like medical school, law school or graduate school,
choose to participate in the College Honors Program.
The Departmental Honors Program emphasizes an experience tailored by the department of the student. Departmental honors students follow the Fulbright College core and must complete at least 12 hours of honors coursework in their undergraduate career. Students also research and defend a thesis. This option is designed for students who do not meet the initial requirements for Fulbright Honors and transfer students with more than 24 hours.
Entry Requirements for New Freshman Students
Entry Requirements for Current & Transfer Students
- Current University of Arkansas students must have a minimum grade point average of 3.50 on all UA coursework to be eligible. You must complete 2 full-time semesters at the U of A before you apply.
- Transfer students must have a minimum grade point average of 3.50 on all coursework to be eligible. You must complete 1 full-time semester on the U of A campus before you apply.
- Applications are not accepted from students within three major (fall/spring) semesters of graduation.
Honors Program Requirements
The Fulbright College of Arts and Sciences offers two forms of honors:
The J. William Fulbright College of Arts and Sciences offers two forms of honors:
- Students in the College Honors program complete roughly one-third of their coursework
at the honors level. Honors hours are taken from the honors core, honors colloquia,
and research hours, including the thesis. (Visit the Fulbright Honors Program website for specific details .) Through coursework or examination students demonstrate proficiency
in a language other than English (intermediate level). Entering freshmen are expected
to participate in the College Honors program.
- The Departmental Honors program allows the flexibility to take honors courses from a variety of areas befitting the student's schedule. Students complete at least 12 hours of honors coursework in residence and develop and defend a thesis. The Departmental Honors program is intended for students who enter honors after the second semester of their freshman year and students who transfer into the University with more than 24 hours.
Both college and departmental honors students must:
- Complete honors coursework in residence
- Maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.50
- Complete undergraduate research culminating in an honors thesis project
Please check with your honors program director for the most up-to-date requirements!
“To me, design needs purpose. I want to address a life issue that affects a lot of people."
Ariel Romero, graphic design